I’ll never call myself an ally to any of the groups I’m privileged over. Here’s why:
- It’s for the marginalized to say who is and is not an ally.
- I get to walk away from issues that don’t affect me. There is always that option, so anything I do regarding them is easier for me than for the marginalized.
- No matter how much effort I put into an issue, it isn’t enough.The oppression will still exist, and won’t directly affect me.
- No matter how hard I try, I will still occasionally fuck up.
Here’s why I don’t like it when people call themselves allies axes of marginalization that affect me:
- If you are an ally, I’ll be able to tell by your actions, not your self applied label.
- If you call yourself an ally, it’s easy to forget that you need to do the job to earn that.
- It still doesn’t mean that you understand what I’m going thru, and I can’t forget that.
- Some people seem to think that being an ally gives them a carte blanche for fuckups. It doesn’t.
So yeah, I really don’t care for the term ally as used by most people. And anyone who thinks that straight allies deserve a flag can go fuck themselves.
If you like my work, please consider donating.